Later, if you got into algebra x also meant that variable you needed to solve for. The calculations serve to help you find what you are looking for.
Wikipedea also kindly added these as some of the uses of x:
– X is often used to represent unknowns in other circumstances (e.g. Person X, Place X, etc.; see also Malcolm X).
– X-rays are so called because their discoverer did not know what they were.
– X has been used as a namesake for a generation of humans: Generation X, the generation born after the baby boom ended, ranging from 1961 to 1981.
– An X-shaped mark has traditionally been used by the illiterate in lieu of a signature, and is also used to indicate a signature line on forms.
– X marks are used as a substitute for the check mark (most notably on election Ballot papers)
– X is commonly used as a generic mark (selecting an item on a form, indicating a location on a map, etc.).
– The common custom of placing Xs on envelopes, notes and at the bottom of letters to mean kisses.
– The use of X indicates any kind of collaboration between people.
– In cartoons, a dead character’s eyes are often drawn as Xs.
– In mapping by the standards of the USGS, an x-type mark is used to denote the point referred to by an elevation marking on topographical maps.
– Maps leading to hidden treasure often denote the treasure with an X. The expression “X marks the spot” is related to these treasure maps
– (and I would add that X is often used to designate a past relationship with a place or person)
Standing alone, the x seems to have many representations yet, I would like to claim, that in them all, X still multiples. Each of the things above is an experience, an understanding denoted by an X.
If we chose to do nothing with the experiences in our lives, we multiply them by 0 and, as we all know, that leaves us with nothing.
Let the experience stand as it is and we multiply it by 1 leaving us with just what we got.
However, multiply it by looking at the lessons we can learn from the experiences, by letting ourselves grow from the knowledge so that we can use it meaningfully in our lives and we have multiplied that experience into a place of growth in our lives.
I don’t know about you, but I think I would like a life of multiplication. I will allow myself to live mindfully in all that is in each moment so that it can multiply its gains into my future.